This week we have a lot to celebrate!
For starters– August 23rd marks Kailley’s Kitchen’s first birthday! Through the ups and downs of working hard through graduate school, this blog quickly became the creative outlet I so desperately needed, made better by the fact that for the first time in my life, I found myself able to give my loved ones gifts made from scratch, straight the heart. Never, ever underestimate the power of giving someone something you made with little more than butter, sugar, and time spent in your kitchen with your hair a mess and flour warrior paint smudged across your cheeks; nothing store-bought can match that level of gratification.
made grad school my bitch graduated from grad school, said goodbye to the social work field, and found two jobs that blend my love for food and writing: freelance writing and photographing for Thrillist, and social media marketing for two great restaurants in Chicago. That same excitement and change permeated Kailley’s Kitchen as well, with a new website and branding launched this past April, plenty of creative recipe experimentation, and the opportunity to be featured by some of the food industry’s biggest names, including Bon Appetit and Cooking Club of America.
Even with a year of baking, blogging, and food photography under my belt, I still consider myself a neophyte as far as all are concerned. I now understand the importance of precisely measuring cake ingredients, how to implement search engine optimization techniques, and the difference between aperture and shutter speed, but I have a long way to go before I master these things. The burnt cookies, the cluttered cupboards, the thousands of imperfect photographs, the triumphant successes and the epic failures — these are things that fuel the freight train that is Kailley’s Kitchen.
There’s been so much growth and learning, and none of it would have been possible without your support– and for that I am truly grateful. Thank you to all of you, and
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KAILLEY’S KITCHEN!!!
For the full story about how this blog began, check out Kailley’s Kitchen’s very first post: “A Fresh Start”
As promised, a bacon-infused fudge giveaway!
Do you want a FREE homemade batch of delicious, dreamy fudge studded with savory bacon delivered straight to your door? Of course you do. Here’s how you get it…
To qualify for this giveaway, follow these 4 simple steps:
1. “like” Kailley’s Kitchen on Facebook
3. Share a link to this recipe on Facebook OR Twitter
4. Send an e-mail to KailleysKitchen@gmail.com with the subject heading, “Bacon Fudge Giveaway,” and include your Facebook/Twitter/Instagram user name for validation.
This giveaway will be open for two weeks, closing on Tuesday, September 23rd. The winner will be contacted via e-mail!
- 4 cups refined sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 (~12 ounce) bag Hershey's milk chocolate chips
- 1 (~12 ounce) bag Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 squares unsweetened Bakers chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Add sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter to a medium sauce pan and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly
- Remove from heat and add marshmallows, stir until melted
- Add each chocolate one at a time, stirring until melted
- Add walnuts and stir just until incorporated
- Pour mixture into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan
- Allow to cool slightly a room temperature
- Finish cooling in refrigerator for 4 hours
- Cut into small squares and store in an airtight container