As promised, I’m starting a brand new posting series!
Tentatively labeled “Voracity,” this series will document current recipes, products (not necessarily related to the kitchen!), books/movies/shows, and more that I can’t get enough of each month. I’ll be incorporating links to my Instagram photos (be sure to follow me, if you aren’t already), Amazon products available through my affiliate account, links to other bloggers’ recipes, and other interesting tidbits. Restaurant reviews, tutorials, and kitchen tips and tricks will also be included under the Voracity umbrella.
Here are 10 of my favorite things from the month of December…
Voracity | December Things
1. This $99 truffle pizza from Balena in Chicago, laden in mortadella, leek crema, jamon Iberico de Belota (lauded by many as the world’s finest ham– and after experiencing love at first bite, I agree!), and titular Perigord black truffles and freshly shaved Alba white truffles. Yes, it was oh-so-sexy, and worth every single cent. Everything at Balena is splurge-worthy. Expect a full review sometime soon.
2. Tasting Table Open Market. I’m currently working as an editorial intern for Tasting Table’s Chicago outpost, and had the opportunity to help out at their first-ever national Open Market. The event drew some of Chicago’s most talented food and goods purveyors, including vintage cookbook seller Edible Type Books and dominant donut shop Do-Rite Donuts.
4. The midseason finale of the Walking Dead. I know there have been lots of mixed feelings regarding season 4 thus far, but minus the two Governer-heavy episodes, I can’t get enough of Rick, Michone, and the rest of the WD gang. If you’ve never watched it, give yourself the gift of season 1 on DVD. Or the entire Breaking Bad box set.
5. The Pecan Pie Bar recipe from the The Silver Palate Cookbook. My mom has baked these several times since I was a kid, and this Christmas, I decided to tackle the recipe myself. It’s mind-blowingly easy and mind-blowingly delicious, and filled with enough butter to make Paula Deen shake it like a polaroid picture. Don’t bother with any other pecan bar recipe.
6. Tory Burch errythang. Santa and his elves spoiled me rotten.
7. I’ll be the first to admit that the average mint-flavored ice cream makes me feel like I should swish and spit instead of swallow, but Oberweis Peppermint Ice Cream has me singing a different tune. Hello, rich and creamy goodness with subtle peppermint flavoring. I guess I’ll let you stick around. Until I eat you.
9. These behemoth beer-battered onion rings from Fat Willy’s Rib Shack. Because “healthy” is overrated. And onions are technically vegetables. I’ve never left this BBQ joint without the “I hate my life/that was amazing” dichotomous thinking.
10. This Pier 1 holiday commercial. It gives me the warm fuzzies every single time, without fail. I love it so much that I went into my local Pier 1 yesterday to procure the hideously adorable penguin for myself so I could reenact the commercial within the comfort of my own apartment… but they were all sold out. I may or may not have gotten a little misty-eyed.