When I was young, I wanted to be a Pretty Pretty Princess with a stable full of unicorns when I grew up. No, really.
I was never the type of kid to have realistic goals like becoming a teacher or a chef, or even loftier goals like becoming the next Danica Patrick (okay, yes, sometimes I still wish I took up racing like my dad) or an astronaut or a movie star. Instead, I was the one prancing around (like a unicorn) in the pinkest, sparkliest dresses fathomable, pretending I was Belle, or Ariel, or whomever the Disney princess du jour happened to be.
Sure, reality eventually gave me a swift kick in my glitter-and-tulle-clad derrière (you’d be amazed by how much life changes once you learn that unicorns don’t exist– think: crestfallen child moments after discovering that Santa is a fat-bellied hoax, except worse), but that didn’t stop me from living every day of my life from that point forward like my future was destined for crowns and horned equines.
Unicorns became show ponies, and I eventually traded princesshood in for that “I-just-want-to-fit-in” sense of normalcy… but I haven’t given up the dream, or the need for an enduring imagination.
Plus, I have a couple sassy horses and a Prince Charming of my very own, and can’t ask for much more!
Except the occasional sweet treat fit for my inner Pretty Pretty Princess.
This soft, chewy rice crispy treat cake studded with whole marshmallows, flavored with cake mix, and loaded up with pastel buttercream and sprinkles on sprinkles on sprinkles should do the trick.
Cake Batter Rice Crispy Treat Cake
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 10-ounce bag marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups rice cereal (I used Kellogg's Rice Krispies)
- 1/2 cup dry white or yellow cake mix
- 1 10-ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces (half-brick) cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- A variety of sprinkles for decorating
- Grease 4 small (4") cake pans or two standard-sized cake pans
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat
- Once butter is completed melted, add 10-ounce bag of large marshmallows, salt, and pure vanilla extract and stir until marshmallows are mostly melted
- Remove from heat
- Add dry cake mix and rice cereal, folding continuously until the cereal is completely coated with the marshmallow mixture
- Stir in mini marshmallows as evenly as possible
- Press evenly into greased cake pans and let sit for one hour
- While rice crispy cakes are setting, add butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth
- Add confectioners' sugar one cup at a time, beating well after each addition
- Add vanilla extract, milk, and food coloring and mix until fully blended
- Remove rice crispy cakes from pans (they should release easily)
- Add a layer of frosting in between each cake, stacking as high as desired
- Frost top of cake and cover in sprinkles