Hey, guys! As I’m sure you’ve noticed, April was a slow month for Kailley’s Kitchen. My outside jobs placed higher demands on me than usual, and recipe development fell by the wayside for a few weeks– so, my apologies for the radio silence! In between all the chaos, I did, however, managed to rack up a list of monthly favorites to share with you.
5 RECIPES I LOVED:
- The Kaleesi Burger from Pornburger. I gushed about Pornburger last month, and my love for the site only grew when I stumbled across this Game of Thrones inspired burger. Oddly enough, it’s vegetarian. And it STILL makes me salivate.
- Blackberry Custard Cake from Baker’s Royale. Naomi is truly a culinary and artistic genius. If you don’t follow her blog yet, do yourself a favor and do so! Everything she creates is breath-taking, and she’s one of my greatest food photography inspirations.
- Bone Marrow Butter with Chives and Meyer Lemon from Tasting Table. Oh, the thought of eating bone marrow makes you squeamish!? Buck up, cowboy.
- Bubble Gum Frosting Cupcakes from Sprinkle Bakes. These are just girly and whimsical and perfect in every way!
- Blackberry Mint Lime Fruit Leather from In Sock Monkey Slippers. It’s like a clash between a Fruit Rollup and a blackberry mojito, sans booze.
5 (NON-RECIPE) THINGS I PINNED:
- This water color wall and gorgeous party spread. When I finally escape the confines of my 500 sq.ft. apartment, I’m doing this, and none of you can stop me.
- This guide to natural food coloring. Who knew?!
- This wall of succulents. Can someone please teach me how to do this?
- Speaking of natural food coloring– these naturally dyed Easter eggs. Easter is over, but who cares?
- This home decor snapshot. I love old, beat-up furniture.
5 ARTICLES I WROTE :
- Must-Try New Bakeries for Michigan Avenue Magazine
- “Tasty Ways to Fete Burger Month” for Michigan Avenue Magazine
- The 18 Best Brunches in Chicago for Thrillist Chicago
- “Chicago’s 7 Best April Restaurant Openings” for Thrillist Chicago
- “Farm-to-Table Restos for Earth Day” for Michigan Avenue Magazine
5 RANDOM THINGS I LOVED:
- The #ruinporn trend on Instagram. There’s so much artful beauty in abandoned buildings. What a breath of fresh air from the seemingly ceaseless selfie trend.
- Fictitious Dishes: An Album of Literature’s Most Memorable Meals by Dinah Fried. Every English Major foodie’s dream.
- This sparkly sweater from Calypso St. Barth. I pretty much lived in this sweater all month long. The quality’s great, it’s super comfortable, and (obviously) it’s sparkly– what’s not to love?
- Steak. Yup, as a recovering vegetarian, I’ve finally conquered (and become obsessed with) steak. Give me a ribeye or hanger steak– something with marbling and flavor.
- Game of Thrones. As always, I’m waaay late to the party. When GoT came back this month, I decided it was time to jump on the bandwagon and get in touch with my inner fantasy geek. It’s no Breaking Bad, but the characters are well developed and the store lines are incredibly entertaining (albeit a bit confusing).
5 RESTAURANTS I ENJOYED:
- Paris Club Bistro in River North. This newly renovated hot spot was everything I ever could’ve hoped for, and more. The space is elegant, right on down to the white table linens and lilting jazz music, and the hanger steak and scallops are the stuff of Gods.
- Abreo in Rockford. This has been a longtime family favorite, and is hands down the best restaurant in Rockford, IL (annnd one of the top 12 non-Chicago restaurants in the state of Illinois). Get the duck nachos, the Asian noodles, the bread pudding… really, just get one of everything.
- Pat’s Pizza in Lincoln Park. My boyfriend and I ordered this for delivery one night per his dad’s recommendation
- Seadog Sushi in Wicker Park. Confession: I’ve never actually been here. BUT I order sushi for delivery (through Grubhub) at least a couple times a month. Their crunchy spicy tuna roll is spot-on, and the “Little Sea Monster” roll is to die for. And they’re always timely.
- A Baker’s Tale. Okay, so it’s technically a bakery, not a restaurant, but it’s Alice In Wonderland inspired and INCREDIBLE.
Tell me– what are some things you loved in April? Leave your comment below!