Hey, guys! And so continues my seemingly unbreakable streak of inconsistent posting. I’m pretty sure the last several posts in a row have begun with me apologizing for/explaining why I’ve been off my game with posting lately, but this time, my excuse is at least a little more exciting: I took a trip to France! Once I get through and edit all my photos, I’ll likely put up a travel post about all the things I did, saw, ate, and drank. But for now, you should probably head over to my Instagram feed for a sneak peek.
As for the best bite of the trip? Easily the picture perfect lemon soufflé from Michelin starred Restaurant Greuze in Tornus (if you find yourself traveling through the Burgundy region, dining here is non-negotiable).
Anyway, back to baking!
In an effort to remain seasonally neutral (as much as I love fall, I’m not quite ready to welcome all things pumpkin spiced just yet), I’m bringing you a KNOCKOUT almond poppy seed muffin recipe drenched in a vanilla-almond glaze that’s just sweet enough to make you feel like a breakfast badass.
I may be biased, but this might be the best muffin recipe you’ll ever try. Okay, I’m entirely biased, but still… if the growing heap of used muffin liners and crumbs in my kitchen are any indication, it’s one of those dependable recipes you’re going to want to come back to, time and time again.
Glazed Almond Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 10 Tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a standard-sized, 12-well muffin tin with liners
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds; set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, blend sugars and butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes
- Add egg, egg yolk, and extracts and mix until just incorporated; scrape sides of bowl as needed
- Pour half of dry ingredient mixture into wet ingredients and blend
- Add milk and sour cream and continue to blend
- Pour remaining dry ingredients in; mix until just incorporated (don't over-mix!)
- Evenly distribute batter into the 12 wells of the lined muffin pan
- Sprinkle sliced almonds evenly on top of batter
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until edges turn slightly golden
- Remove from oven
- Carefully remove muffins from pan and let cool on a wire rack
- While muffins are cooling, combine all glaze ingredients in a small mixing bowl; whisk until smooth
- Place muffins top down in the bowl of glaze, then turn right-side-up and let dry on rack
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or store in freezer for up to 3 weeks