Happy almost-Thanksgiving, guys!
I have a lot to be thankful for this year, not the least of which is the continued support I get from all of you, my readers. Thank you for being here for me, for reading what I have to say, for making my recipes (and tagging me in photos of your Kailley’s Kitchen recreations!), for celebrating the good times with me, and for encouraging me to never stop growing and learning as a writer, baker, and photographer. Suffice it to say, you’re my people, and I kinda’ love ya’!
With all that mushiness aside, since wedding planning and balancing an out-of-control busy work schedule as a freelance food writer and photographer have taken over my life lately, I just realized that I haven’t offered up a single fall-themed recipe yet this year (I know, I’d like to disown myself right about now, too), which is totally uncharacteristic of me, and frankly, unacceptable. This, from the autumn-loving girl who gave you Sparkling Cider Cinnamon Chip Muffins, Skillet Honey Cornbread, Vanilla Bean Caramel Pecan Bars, and Apple Ginger Streusel Cake last fall.
“Off my game” doesn’t even begin to describe where I’m at right now, and with winter coming at us all like a freight train, it’s less than likely that I’ll be able to adequately make up for it.
But, in an effort to scrape the surface of rectifying my major faux pas, I’m bringing you your new favorite Thanksgiving extra: Cream cheese-based cranberry bread with orange-honey compound butter.
Why cream cheese? Because it makes the bread CRAZY moist, and imparts a bit of always-necessary richness (hey, it’s not like you weren’t already planning on breaking out your favorite stretchy pants post-Turkey Day dinner– let’s be real).
Cranberry Bread with Orange-Honey Butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package full-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (I use Nielsen-Massey brand)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and thoroughly grease a 9"x5" loaf pan
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla just until blended
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
- In a medium mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and orange zest.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly add dry ingredients to wet; beat until just combined
- Fold in cranberries
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean
- Allow to cool in pan on wire rack 30 minutes, then gently turn loaf out
- Combine all butter ingredients in a small bowl and slather onto bread as desired
- Bread is best served warm!